WHAT IS AN EXPERIMENT?
What is an experiment?
It is part of a research project of the economic behaviour area in which behaviour patterns are intended to be found, studied or confirmed.
Is it true that your receive a payment in cash?
Yes, all participants receive an immediate cash payment that depends on theirs and the other participants' behaviour. The average payment for sessions on 2016 is 18€. Furthermore, you are guarranteed to receive a minimun payment of 5€.
What is participation about?
Participation consists in making decisions in a computer, tablet or mobile device.
Which kind of decisions?
Simple decisions. For instance, selecting among options or allocating amounts of money. Everything depends on each one's personal preferences. Economic knowledge is not necessary to participate. You just need to be yourself.
How does a session work?
All participants receive a set of instructions at the beginning of the session that place them within a particular context. From that moment on, you should simply make the decisions you consider to be appropiate. At the end of the session you will need to fulfill a receipt and then you will receive your payment in cash.
Is there a "right answer"?
No. This is not an exam. Researchers wish to know how does society behave in reality.
What happens with my personal data?
What happens with my behavioral results?
They are disassociated from your identity so that no one can relate an individual with the decisions he/she has made. Data will be analysed only after they have become completely anonymous.
How long does it last?
Even though it depends on the purpose of the research, sessions last between 60 and 120 minutes. You will know the estimated maximum duration of your session before you book your place. Lenght depends on multiple factors so it can shorter or longer than the estimation.
How much money can I make?
The average payment of LINEEX for 2017 is 18€, but it will always depend on yours and the other participants' decisions.
Which is the record?
LINEEX's maximum payment record is 1000€ in 90 minutes.
LINEEX's minimum payment record is 5€ in 120 minutes.
None of both is the usual case.
Who can participate?
Anybody from 18 to 81 who is able to shop online is welcome. LINEEX is open for everyone, no matter if they are University students or not.
Where can I participate?
You can participate in the in-person sessions at LINEEX, the Laboratory for Research in Experimental Economics of the University of Valencia (see location).
During the next months, LINEEX will start carrying out online sessions as well.
Not clear yet? This video is a sample of a regular session at LINEEX
REGISTER YOUR PROFILE
1. Access the PARTICIPANTS AREA and click on "register".
2. Insert your email address. Remember this email, since you will need it to:
- Sign in new sessions
- Receive notifications from LINEEX (confirmations related to registration, signing in, signing out and personal data modifications)
3. Fill in all the gaps (we will need them to know if your profile is the one required for every specific session).
We will not use them for anything else or sell them to third parties. We apply LOPD exhaustively.
- If you do not own a Spanish ID card: you can introduce the number of any other official ID document or passport that includes a picture. Anyhow, remember to bring that document to the session to identify yourself.
4. If the process has finished correctly, you will receive a confirmation email in the email address you used for registration. If you do not receive this email, please contact us.
5. Once registered, book your place here.
Fraud in new registrations
If two or more profiles with similar name, ID number or other personal data are created, we will restrict the participation for that person permanently.
If you do NOT remember the email address you used to register, please contact us.
Duplication of profiles is strictly prohibited.
FIND OPEN SESSIONS
WHERE TO KNOW ABOUT THE NEW PLACES
Places are announced periodically in our pages in social networks (Facebook, Instagram and Twitter). They can be easily identified by the green circle you will on the right. It contains:
- Number of open places
- Language of the session (flag on the top right corner)
- Session placement (laboratory/online)
- Dates and times of the sessions.
Usually, we run out of places very quickly.
Our recommendation for all people interested in participating is that they follow us on social networks to know about the opening of places in real time.
BOOK YOUR PLACE
ONCE YOUR PROFILE IS REGISTERED YOU CAN SELECT THE SESSION
1. Access our PARTICIPANTS AREA and click on "book your place".
2. Write the email you used to register.
3. Another screen with OPEN SESSIONS will appear. It will indicate duration, average payment, date and time.
4. Click on "sign in" in the session you prefer.
In that moment, you will receive a confirmation email mentioning again the date of the session. If you do not receive it, please contact us.
Why it does not let you to book your place?
There may be two reasons:
REASON 1: You have reached the maximum number of participations
There are two different limits for the number of participations.
a) ANNUAL limit: 4 yearly participations or payments - this is due to the fiscal policy applied by the accounting service of the University of Valencia.
b) TOTAL limit: 5 total participations per person. This means that a participant can only attend a session 5 times in his/her life, no matter when he/she has participated.
Now you can get unlimited participations by activating our "+3" Promotion.
REASON 2: There are not available places for your profile for this session.
This means that your profile is not compatible with the requirements of the research done in that date. In that case, you just have to wait for the next call.
I HAVE ALREADY BOOKED MY PLACE. WHAT NOW?
Check that you have received an email with the confirmation of the booking. In addition, you will receive a reminder 24 hours before the session.
IMPORTANT: If you do not receive any of these two, please contact us.
THE DAY OF THE SESSION
RIGHTS AND OBLIGATIONS
1. Try to arrive to the lab 10 minutes in advance. If you are absent when we call your name, you will not be allowed to enter.
2. Bring the booking confirmation with you. In case you dont appear in our system you will have evidence it has been our failure and you will receive at least the minimun payment.
3. Prepare your ID card, passport or driving license. You will be asked to show it at the entrance. Any other document for identification must be original, contain your ID number and a photo.
If you do not bring the right identification you will not be allowed to enter in the session, since we cannot be certain about your profile being adequate for the research purposes.
WHEN YOU ENTER
- Firstly will enter those participants who couldn't enter into the lab in previous sessions.
- After those people, we will call participants in order of inscription as a general rule and without taking promotions into account.
The execution of research projects is very costly. That is why we open a percentage of additional places in every session, in order to cover the place of those who do not show up.
What happens if I cannot enter in the experiment because the session is full?
If you do not enter in the room because it is full, you will have the following rights:
1. To receive the minimum payment of that session. Participants can voluntarily rennounce to this payment so that it does not count for the annual limit of participations. By doing this, an extra participation for a future call is assured.
2. To obtain access PRIORITY for the next session.
Non-justified absences entail a PERMANENT RESTRICTION in future sessions for the participant.
1. Immediate, cash reward at the end of the session (minimum guaranteed payment for lab sessions = 5€)
2. Confidentiality in the treatment of data: all your personal data, together with those that reflect the decisions made will be kept anonymous. Neither your identity nor your personal data will be disclosed.
3. Leave the session: the participant has the right to abandon the session. Nevertheless, this implies losing the payment and being restrcited permanently for future sessions.
4. Ask possible doubts related with the session: the participant must rise his/her hand, and all question will be answered individually.
1. Compliance with the lab's basic rules:
a) The use of mobile phones is not allowed during the session.
b) Participants must remain in silence and not to copy other participants' decisions.
c) Ask doubts raising your hand and one by one.
d) Do not use the computer for anything non related to the experiment.
2. Respect to our facilities and staff
3. Notify any absence to a session in advance (24 hours): In this way, another person can take your place and participate in the experiment.
4. Fill in correctly the receipt for your payment. This is absolutely necessary to receive the money.